The last week has been one of those blissful vacuums of time that would drive the accomplishment-minded, like the terminally-disease-stricken, to despair; my week wasted either sweating over the stove in the shared hostel slice-of-a-kitchen, sized and ventilated like a coffin, or splayed across cushions absorbed in pirated DVDs, disproving the popular pothead rumination that a body left undisturbed on a sofa for sufficient time will interweave fibers, creating the ultimate creature of comfort, curiously neglected in Greek mythology: PillowBoy. Well entrenched in a lazy routine, I've eaten two arepas con queso and two cheese-overloaded aborrajados, sometimes with a side of frijoles, for five nights and running. My belly and tastebuds concur that there's no way to tire of plantains and cheese, nor arepas slathered in more oiliness than Spring Breaking sorority sluts from midwestern universities. (However, if you're not entirely fluent in Spanish, for safety's sake you should avoid all baby blather in the kitchen. It creates a rather awkward first impression when you confuse, for example, the words "conocer" and "cocinar" when talking to the latina mother of an adorable infant: "¿Cuando vayas a traer la nena otra vez? ¡Me gustaría cocinarla mejor!")
Cali seems to me a rather progressive city, with myriad thriving alternative communities. The most surprising, considering the Latin reputation for machismo, is the wide-open gay community. (But if you meet a gay guy who informs you his last name's "Mora," try to consider your words a bit more carefully than I did, asking with a giggle, "¿Cómo la fruta?" And remember guys: falling for a lesbian -- no matter that she's in all other aspects your dream girl realized -- is essentially, well, cockblocking yourself.) Hostel-mates Chris, Mike, Blanca, Leidy and I encountered a confluence of counter-cultures at an alcohol, drug, and manic electronic music fueled, rented-house rave -- Trashy Party -- put on by several Caleño friends. Chris turned into a walking highlight, screaming "MIKE!" up and down the streets; talking to Danielle, "mi amiga hormiga," before a savage turn in demeanor or drunken forgetfulness ended in her being squashed; answering the question-threat, "Has anyone ever cut your hair when you've been asleep?", with "No, I take my shoes off."; and providing the Koreanness necessary to prompt a random passerby to say, mid-stride and without context, "Chang." At which point, as much for the confused look on Chris' face as the comment itself -- which turns out to be much tamer, reportedly, than the strings of "Chinese" gibberish unleashed by teenage Paisas at the sight of Chris -- we melted into hysterics.
Colombians, well-versed in futból, play the first sane form of basketball I've encountered in Latin America. It helps that Colombians grow to full-size, with proportionate limbs as well, but they also play with a patience that avoids the video-game quality of, say, Guatemalan hoops. Gone is the head-down sprinting toward the arbitrarily-located, invisible-to-gringo-launch-pads that manage to convert Central American concrete courts into minefields, tiny explosions underfoot constantly launching the man with the ball into the air. Present is control -- something I might lose if people keep calling fouls for boxing out.
RIP HEAVY D
14 years ago

3 comments:
yes yes yum. i agree, plantain are so yum. have you tried papusas before? they're from el salvador and are a lot like arepas. my 'godmother' makes them routinely and they've become a staple at family gatherings. yum.
does that translate into "i want to cook her better?" im not good with conjugating verbs.
haha, yep, "I'd like to cook her better," literally.
And, yes, pupusas are one of my culinary favorites. Check back to my El Salvador blogging and you'll find constant references to those heavenly, filled discs of semi-fried (corn) dough (though pupusas de arroz are also available in select spots). I, quite literally, ate pupusas every single day I was in El Salvador, and sometimes in Guatemala and Honduras. And there are at least 4-5 pupuserias in Charlotte, when the craving strikes...
Brodus,
That was one of the funnier things I've read in awhile. Looks like I fell a little behind in checking the blog. Enjoy Ecuador. Can't wait to see you soon.
...Suckin' on some [insert our favorite word here]...
Post a Comment